Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pokemon Y - The Snowbelle Gym

I went to the Snowbelle Gym, ready to get my eighth Gym Badge in the Kalos region and earn the right to challenge the Elite Four.

My team consisted of:

Gabriel (Talonflame, Fire/Flying, Lv. 62)
Brody (Diggersby, Normal/Ground, Lv. 62)
Axel (Raichu, Electric, Lv. 62)
Cadence (Florges, Fairy, Lv. 63)
Logan (Venusaur, Grass/Poison, Lv. 63)
Jack (Greninja, Water/Dark, Lv. 63)

I talked to the man near the entrance, who only told me the obvious, that the Snowbelle Gym was dedicated to Ice-Type Pokemon.

The Gym was a cylinder designed with four colored rows of square panels and some kind of bridge going to the Gym Leader. There were also colored platforms where Trainers stood, and switches on those platforms. I went onto a pink platform, and battled the Trainer there, and through the battle Axel grew to Level 63.

I stepped onto the pink panel, and found that the pink row spun around in the cylindrical Gym, revealing itself to be a square of different designs on each side, and the side that spun around connected the pink floor to the bridge going to the blue floor.

I went forward, and got into another battle with a Trainer when I stepped onto the blue platform. Through the battle, Gabriel and Brody both grew to Level 63, and then I stepped on the panel to move the blue floor. I had to step on the panel a few times before I realized that I needed to move the pink flooring around to get both blue and pink floor set to allow me to move forward.

Finally I was able to press forward, and I stepped onto the green platform to get into another battle. After the battle, I rotated the green floor a few times, before I was forced to go to the yellow platform to get into another battle. Through the battle Jack grew to Level 64, and then I stepped onto the yellow panel to switch the yellow floor around, then I went to switch the green floor around before I finally reached the Gym Leader.

The Gym Leader, Wulfric, told me about how Ice could be so strong and also so fragile, and how he could either be a very powerful opponent to me or be a pushover, depending on the Pokemon I choose to fight him. He told me that was how it should be, and I found it an interesting viewpoint coming from a Gym Leader.

Wulfric sent out Abomasnow, and I sent out Gabriel against it. Abomasnow's ability, Snow Warning, caused hail to fall before the battle started. Gabriel attacked with Flame Charge and knocked out Abomasnow in a single blow, and he grew to Level 64 and learned Brave Bird in place of Acrobatics.

I kept Gabriel in the fight as Wulfric sent out Cryogonal, and even with Abomasnow knocked out the hailstorm kept on. Gabriel struck with Flame Charge again, and it knocked out Cryogonal instantly, and Logan grew to Level 64.

Finally Wulfric sent out Avalugg, an odd-looking Ice-Type Pokemon I had never seen before. It appeared to be some kind of ice turtle, and I learned later on that it was an evolution of an Ice-Type Pokemon I spotted but missed catching in the Frost Cavern. I had Gabriel attack with Flame Charge, and it did great damage before Avalugg used Curse to lower it's speed and raise it's attack and defense, before the hail actually healed it thanks to it's ability, Ice Body.

Gabriel struck with Flame Charge again for great damage, before Avalugg used Curse again to buff it's attack and defense before hail fell to hurt Gabriel and heal Avalugg. This was turning out to be a long battle, one step forward and two steps back between the relatively little damage that Gabriel was doing before Avalugg was healed by the hail.

Gabriel attacked with Flame Charge once more for good damage, and Avalugg used Curse again to keep building attack and defense, but the hail finally stopped and gave me a breather from damage and Avalugg's healing. Gabriel used Flame Charge again for massive damage, a critical hit, before it used Avalanche to knock out Gabriel.

I sent Jack out against it, and Wulfric used a Hyper Potion to heal Avalugg before Jack struck with Surf for massive damage. Jack used Surf once more, and it did great damage, knocking out Avalugg. Axel and Cadence both grew to Level 64, adn the battle was won!

Wulfric congratulated my Pokemon and I on a fine battle, and he handed over the Iceberg Badge, which would make all Pokemon obey my orders. He also gave me TM13 (Ice Beam), a powerful and accurate Ice-Type move. Before I left, Wulfric told me that being rigid can make you tough but fragile, so I'd be better off being flexible. He told me he was too stubborn to be flexible, but thought that perhaps that was he loves Ice-Type Pokemon.

I left the Snowbelle Gym with the eighth and final Gym Badge, and as I left the Gym Guide came out to meet me, congratulating me on a job well done. After that he moved aside, and Wulfric came out to meet me as well, and he advised me to trust in my Pokemon as I went through Victory Road.

I went to the Pokemon Center and healed my Pokemon, ready for the journey ahead.

Current Team:

Brody (Diggersby, Normal/Ground, Lv. 63)
Gabriel (Talonflame, Fire/Flying, Lv. 64)
Axel (Raichu, Electric, Lv. 64)
Cadence (Florges, Fairy, Lv. 64)
Logan (Venusaur, Grass/Poison, Lv. 64)
Jack (Greninja, Water/Dark, Lv. 64)

No comments:

Post a Comment